It’s almost Valentine’s Day. Need a special treat for your sweetie? Or maybe just a little treat for yourself? Sure you could just buy a box of cake mix, but nothing says love like a homemade baked good. Okay, we can cheat a little with the frosting. Go ahead and get your favorite vanilla frosting. I won’t tell. In fact, I’ll help you dress it up. This recipe makes 1 dozen standard size cupcakes. So, if you want to make more be sure to multiply ingredient quantities.
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 2 eggs, at room temperature
- 2 teaspoons cherry extract
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1/2 cup chocolate cherry chips (or you can use cherry flavored chips like Gurley’s.)
- 1 container vanilla frosting
- 4 drops red gel food coloring
- 1/2 teaspoon cherry extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Meanwhile line a cupcake pan with cupcake liners; set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt.
- Add the butter, sour cream, eggs, cherry extract and lemon zest and mix well until the mixture is smooth. (About 30-45 seconds.)
- With a spatula stir in the chocolate cherry chips.
- Place 3 tablespoons of batter into each cupcake liner. Bake for 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Allow to cool completely before frosting.
- Add red gel food coloring to vanilla frosting one drop at a time, mixing until desired shade of pink is achieved.
- Add cherry extract and stir well.
- Frost cupcakes as you like.
- Optional add a maraschino cherry or other toppings for decoration.