It’s that time of year again. Football season. (I wanted to say Fall, but it’s in the mid 80’s around here and I’m still wearing shorts.) What better way to feed a hungry crowd gathered at your house than with a big pot of flavorful chili. You can omit the ground beef and go meatless, and you won’t miss a thing. Added bonus, only one pot to clean.
- 1 pound lean ground beef or turkey
- 1 large onion, diced
- 3 stalks celery, diced
- 1 cup corn kernels (fresh or frozen)
- 1 15 ounce can tomato sauce
- 1 15 ounce can diced tomatoes with green chiles
- 1/4 cup red wine
- 2 tablespoons cumin
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 cup dark chocolate chips (Yes, dark chocolate chips. Trust me.)
- 1 15 ounce can red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 15 ounce can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 15 ounce can pinto beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup water
- Sour cream
- Shredded cheese
- Diced green onions
- Cook ground beef over medium high heat. When browned, add onions, celery and corn. Stir and cook for an additional 3 minutes until onions have softened.
- Add remaining ingredients and stir to mix well. When chili comes to a boil, lower heat to low. Let simmer for an hour.
- Top with sour cream, shredded cheese and diced green onion and serve.