While I was coming up with this recipe. I was getting a déjà vu feeling. Then I realized, I have made a similar cupcake recipe to this. Gosh, I must be getting forgetful. My Valentine’s Day cupcakes used similar cherry and chocolate flavors. Check out that recipe here: Cherry Chocolate Chip Cupcakes. So I am calling these my Cherry Chocolate Chip Cupcakes 2.0 version. You can use a boxed white cake mix if you like. But this recipe is very simple, and you can have the bragging rights that you made these from scratch. This recipe makes 18-24 cupcakes.
- 1 jar (10 ounce) maraschino cherries, drained and chopped, 1 tablespoon liquid reserved; 18-24 cherries reserved for garnish
- 1 cup miniature semisweet chocolate chips
- 2 cups all-purpose flour, plus one tablespoon reserved for chocolate chips
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 1 1/4 cups sugar
- 1/4 cup whole milk
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 2 teaspoons almond extract
- 2 egg whites, beaten to stiff peaks
TOPPING AND GARNISH INGREDIENTS:
- 2 containers Betty Crocker Whipped vanilla frosting
- 1 tablespoon maraschino cherry liquid you reserved
- 1 teaspoon cherry or almond extract
- maraschino cherries to garnish
- sugar sprinkles (optional but they make it more fun, don’t they?)
- Heat oven to 350 degrees. Line 18 regular size baking cups in baking tins. Set aside.
- Finely chop cherries. Place chopped cherries in paper towel-lined bowl to drain while preparing batter.
- In a small bowl or container, add 1 tablespoon flour to 1 cup miniature chocolate chips and mix/shake well. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, stir together flour, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat butter and sugar with an electric mixer on medium speed until well blended.
- Add 2 teaspoons almond extract to 1/4 cup whole milk.
- Beginning and ending with flour mixture, alternately add flour mixture and milk mixture to butter mixture, beating well after each addition. Fold in stiffly beaten egg whites. Fold in chopped cherries and miniature chocolate chips. Spoon batter into muffin cups, filling each about 3/4 full.
- Bake 20 to 25 minutes or until cupcakes spring back when lightly touched in center. Remove from muffin cups to cooling rack. Cool completely, about an hour.
- To make Topping, spoon frosting into bowl with 1 tablespoon cherry liquid. Add 1 teaspoon cherry or almond extract; beat 2 minutes with electric mixer on medium speed. If desired, transfer topping to decorating bag fitted with large star tip; pipe topping onto cupcakes in large swirls. Or, spread topping on cupcakes with off-set spatula. Garnish each cupcake with sugar sprinkles and a maraschino cherry.