Brrr! It’s getting chilly outside. I love this time of year because making casseroles in a hot oven not only gives you a belly full of goodness, but the heat from the oven helps make the house nice and toasty. This recipe is yet another,”What can I make with the ingredients I have on hand?” I really need to go grocery shopping soon.
- 3-4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts cut into bite size pieces
- 5 medium russet potatoes, diced into bite size pieces
- 1/2 tablespoon smoked paprika (or regular)
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1/2 tablespoon cumin
- 1/2 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1 can diced tomatoes with green chilies (14.5 ounce)
- 2 cups shredded Mexican Blend cheese
- 1/2 cup cooked, chopped bacon
- 2 green onions, sliced thin
- sour cream for topping (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Grease 9 X 13 baking dish with cooking spray. Set aside.
- In a large plastic container with lid (or 1 gallon Ziploc bag) add paprika, garlic powder, cumin, chili powder, salt, pepper and olive oil. Mix well.
- Add diced chicken and potatoes. Seal container. Shake well so all the seasoning cover the chicken and potato pieces.
- Add seasoned chicken and potato pieces to baking dish in an even layer.
- Bake uncovered for 50 minutes.
- Remove from oven and add diced tomatoes over casserole. Sprinkle cheese, bacon and green onions over casserole.
- Bake another 5 minutes or until cheese is melted.
- Remove from oven and let stand for 5 minutes before serving.
- Serve with sour cream if desired.