I love chicken wings of all types. Savory, sweet or spicy. Baked, fried, grilled or sauteed. So when Super Bowl Sunday came around, I decided to treat everyone to chicken wings. By everyone, I mainly meant me. I made three different types. But these were my favorite of the evening. They were savory and sticky and just a little bit spicy from the ginger and red pepper flakes. And although these took a few steps, it is still a really easy recipe to make.
- 1 1/2 pounds chicken wings, disjointed, tips discarded
- 1/2 cup soy sauce
- 1/3 cup Chinese cooking wine
- 1 tablespoon ginger, minced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 cup water
- 3 teaspoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ginger, minced for cooking sauce
- 2 green onions, diced separated in two piles
- Combine the soy sauce, Chinese cooking wine, 1 tablespoon of ginger, garlic and red pepper flakes in a large bowl. Add the chicken wings and toss to coat. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Place cornstarch in a gallon size Ziploc type bag. Remove the chicken wings from the marinade. Be sure to reserve the marinade. Add chicken wings to the cornstarch in plastic bag. Seal bag and toss or shake until all wings are completely coated in cornstarch.
- Using a large skillet with cover, heat oil to medium heat. Add the chicken wings, working in batches if needed. Brown chicken wings on all sides. 8-10 minutes per side.
- Remove chicken wings to a plate. Drain skillet of oil. Place the skillet back on the burner and add the water, reserved marinade, brown sugar and 1 teaspoon of minced ginger. Stir to combine.
- Add the chicken wings back into the skillet and sprinkle with half of the diced green onions.
- Cover and simmer on low heat for 15-20 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through and tender.
- Serve topped with pan sauce and remaining green onions as garnish.
To all those that celebrate the Lunar New Year, Gung Hay Fat Choy! Happy Year of the Monkey! Wishing you a year of happiness and health and delicious food!