Everyday is taco day in my house. But how about a little sweet and spicy kick? Tex Mex meets Hawaiian and this is the end result. The slow cooker does most of the work, you get all the credit. Can’t beat that!
- 4 pounds pork shoulder
- 1 cup barbecue sauce
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 6 tablespoons fresh lime juice (3 limes)
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 tablespoons garlic powder
- 1 can (20 ounces) pineapple chunks or fresh if available
- 1 small white or red onion, diced
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and finely diced
- 2 tomatoes, diced
- 1 cup cilantro, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red peppers (optional)
- 1 cup shredded red cabbage
- 20 small corn tortillas
- In a 6 quart slow cooker add pork shoulder.
- In a large bowl, add barbecue sauce, brown sugar, lime juice (reserve 1 tablespoon for the pineapple pico de gallo), cayenne pepper, chili powder and garlic powder. Mix together to form a paste and spread evenly over pork shoulder.
- Cook on low for 8 to 9 hours; or you can cook on high for 5 to 6 hours. Shred when done cooking.
- When your pork is ready, assemble the pineapple pico de gallo.
- Slice the pineapple chunks into smaller pieces and place in large bowl. Add the diced onions, jalapeno pepper, tomatoes, cilantro and reserved 1 tablespoon of lime juice. If you can handle the extra heat, add the crushed red peppers to the bowl.
- Top your tortillas with pulled pork, pineapple pico de gallo and shredded cabbage.
- Garnish with lime wedges.
You can also change this recipe into pulled pork sliders by substituting Hawaiian bread rolls for the corn tortillas.