These cookies you can make all year round. But come on. They call them snowball cookies. SNOWBALLS! When I think of snowballs, I think winter. And when I think winter, I think the holidays. These are similar to Russian tea cookies without the walnuts or pecans. I just don’t really like nuts in my cookies.
- 2 sticks unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon extract
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons lemon zest
- 2 1/4 cups all purpose flour
- 1-2 cups powdered sugar for coating
- Preheat oven to 350 F degrees. Line two cookie sheets with parchment paper or silicone mats.
- Beat butter, powdered sugar, lemon juice, lemon extract, kosher salt and lemon zest.
- Add the flour and mix until dough forms into consistency of small pebbles.
- Roll dough into tablespoon sized balls. Leave 1-2 inches between cookies as the dough does no spread.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes or until cookies no longer look wet.
- Cool for 10 minutes before rolling in additional powdered sugar.
- Roll cookies in powdered sugar added to a bowl or go add powdered sugar to a ziploc bag and shake to cover cookies.
Cookies will store for 3 days in air tight container or freeze up to one month. This recipe yielded 30 cookies.