Okay meat lovers, don’t hate me. I know a lot of the beef eaters out there are literally having a cow (teehee, get it?) seeing my roast not at red rare or medium rare state. But for some reason, any beef cooked under medium does not agree with my tummy. So here you get my pinkish medium to medium well tri tip roast. No worries I will tell you how to cook it to your desired doneness. Best of all, this is a simple recipe that you can make year round especially if you do not have a grill.
- 3-4 pound tri tip roast
- kosher salt
- fresh cracked pepper
- garlic powder
- dried crushed rosemary
- 1 package Lipton Onion Soup Mix
- Worcestershire sauce
- olive oil
- 2 small onions
- In a glass baking dish big enough to hold your roast, season both sides of your tri tip with with the salt, pepper, garlic powder, rosemary, onion soup mix, worcestershire sauce and olive oil. I did not give measurements for any because I just generally season by sight and it depends on the size of your roast as well. Just make sure your tri tip is well covered in seasonings and sauce and oil.
- Peel and cut onions into quarters and add to baking dish.
- Let meat marinate in refrigerator for at least 2 hours. Take tri tip out of refrigerator 30 minutes before putting into oven. Make sure fatty side is on top.
- Preheat oven to 450 F degrees.
- Place in oven and cook for 15 minutes to brown.
- Lower oven temperature to 350 F degrees. Cook 15 minutes for every pound for medium rare doneness. Cook 17 minutes per pound for medium doneness.
- Take cooked tri tip out of oven and let rest for 10 minutes before cutting.