Okay. I admit it. I am a picky eater. You will not find green bell peppers or yellow onions in my fajitas. I love every type of bell peppers except green. I will always substitute whenever a recipe calls for green bell peppers. As for red onions, they just happen to be my favorite type of onion. I always have them on hand. Don’t get me wrong, I like yellow onions too. But I ALWAYS have red onions. So feel free to substitute your favorite colors of the rainbow for this dish. You can even omit the chicken and use sliced portabella mushrooms and add other vegetables to make a fantastic vegetarian fajita.
- 1 large onion sliced
- 1 red bell pepper sliced
- 1 yellow bell pepper sliced
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts sliced into strips
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 tablespoons Mexican seasoning (chili powder, crushed red peppers, cumin, garlic powder, oregano and paprika)
- 1 lime, juiced
- tortillas and your favorite fajita sides for serving
- lime wedges for garnish
- Preheat oven to 400 F degrees.
- Place onions, peppers and chicken in 9×13 baking pan or dish.
- Drizzle and coat with olive oil. Sprinkle Mexican seasoning over dish. Top with lime juice. Toss to coat.
- Bake in the oven for 30-35 minutes, stirring halfway.
- Serve with tortillas and your favorite fajita sides. Add lime wedge to each plate for garnish and extra lime juice if wanted.
Makes 3-4 servings.