At my local supermarket, I came across a pack of organic chicken breasts and drumsticks. I thought how strange there were no thighs or wings. But I also thought, how perfect this was for my son and me. He loves drumsticks and I love chicken breasts. While I was at the supermarket, I kept smelling the fresh out of the rotisserie chicken they were packaging up. As I do not own a rotisserie, this was my inspiration to try to come up with a baked chicken with rotisserie flavors. So this is what I tried. Considering I had breasts and drumsticks to cook together, they came out surprisingly moist and tender.
- 2 tablespoons packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- olive oil
- 1 whole cut up chicken (My chicken pack came only with 2 breasts and 4 drumsticks)
- Preheat oven to 400 F degrees. Cover a baking sheet with foil.
- In a small bowl, make spice rub by combining brown sugar, garlic powder, chili powder and salt. Mix well.
- Rub chicken with olive oil.
- Rub spice mix over chicken pieces covering both sides.
- Place chicken on prepared baking sheet.
- Add an extra drizzle of olive oil over chicken pieces.
- Bake in the oven for 30 minutes at 400F degrees. This initial high heat will help brown the chicken.
- Then lower the heat to 350 F degrees and bake for an additional 10-20 minutes more until the juices run clear (not pink) when poked with a sharp knife or the internal temperature of the chicken breasts is 165 F degrees and of the drumsticks are 170 F degrees.
- Remove from oven and transfer the chicken to a serving dish. Tent with aluminum foil and let rest for 5 to 10 minutes before serving.