It’s asparagus season here in California. I find myself buying asparagus every shopping trip now. But instead of making my usual grilled asparagus as a side dish, I wanted to add it into the main dish. If you love making quick dinners like I do then you are going to love this. Also, this recipe only requires a few ingredients which makes this even simpler. I have another variation of this dish ( Asparagus Beef ) where you make your own sauce, however this one is using a premade black bean garlic sauce which cuts the time in half and does the work for you. This serves 2-4 depending on your portions.
- 12 ounce sirloin or flank steak, sliced into thin strips
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil for cooking, separated into 2 tablespoons and 1 tablespoon
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon grated garlic
- 1 teaspoon grated ginger
- 1 pound of asparagus, sliced into thirds
- 1/2 red onion, sliced
- 2-3 tablespoons black bean and garlic sauce (found at local grocery stores in your international aisle or Asian markets)
- 1 teaspoon sugar (this offsets the sharpness of the black bean sauce)
- 1/2 cup beef or chicken stock
- Add beef strips to a bowl. Then add cornstarch, grated garlic and ginger. Mix well and set aside.
- Heat up wok or skillet on high heat. Swirl in 2 tablespoons vegetable oil to coat wok or skillet.
- Quickly spread the beef slices around the pan in an even layer. Let it sear for 15-30 seconds without stirring. Then give it a quick stir to sear the other side. The meat should be browned and no sticking should happen if you got the pan hot enough. Take the meat out of the pan and set aside.
- Keep the wok/skillet on high heat and add one tablespoon oil.
- Add in asparagus and onions.
- Stir for about 10 seconds and cover, leaving the heat on high. Let it cook for 20 to 30 seconds. Remove the cover. Add the beef back to the pan.
- Add the black bean and garlic sauce paste, sugar and beef stock. Stir to mix well.
- Let beef and vegetables continue to cook with the sauce for 2-3 minutes or until asparagus is cooked tender.
- Plate with jasmine rice and serve immediately.