What’s that? I’m posting a vegetarian dish? Yes, believe it or not, I actually like a lot of vegetarian dishes. It’s just hard to find a vegetarian dish that my picky “meat and potatoes” son will enjoy as well. So I have to take baby steps with him and made a vegetarian soup. And slow cooker recipes are the best. Just prep your ingredients, put into your slow cooker and let it do all the work! Hopefully, my friend, Sue T. will approve. This recipe makes 6-8 servings.
- 1 1/2 cups lentils (green or red)
- 4 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and diced
- 1/2 onion, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 2 russet potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 1 bag (5 ounces) baby spinach
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 6 1/2 cups vegetable stock
- salt to taste
- Place all ingredients but the baby spinach, in your slow cooker. And pour in the vegetable stock.
- Cook on high for 5 hours or on low for 8 hours.
- Stir a few times throughout the cooking.
- Add the baby spinach during the last 10 minutes of cooking cycle.
- If you like a more brothy soup, add in 1-2 cups additional stock.
- If you like a more creamy soup, carefully ladle out 1/3 of the soup into your blender and puree. Add back blended soup to slow cooker and mix well.
- Salt to taste and garnish with chopped parsley.