I came across my bundt cake pan the other day. I thought to myself, I really need to use it more often. So I went through my cupboard and found all the ingredients for a semi homemade pineapple upside down cake. Then I found out my brother and his family were coming to town. I now had willing taste testers to help eat up the cake. My son and I would never have finished it by ourselves. It was fate.
- 1 stick unsalted butter, melted
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 can (20 ounces) pineapple slices, reserve the juice
- 1 small jar maraschino cherries (you will need about 15-20 depending on your bundt pan size)
- 1 box yellow cake mix (thus the semi homemade description)
- 1 package (3.4 ounce) vanilla pudding mix
- 3 eggs
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1/3 cup milk
- Preheat the oven to 350 F degrees. Spray a bundt pan generously with nonstick spray.
- Evenly pour the melted butter into the bottom of the bundt pan and top with the brown sugar.
- Cut the pineapple rings in half and, alternating with the cherries, place into the butter-brown sugar mixture in the bottom of the pan.
- In a large bowl, combine the cake and pudding mixes together. Add the reserved pineapple juice and milk. Add the eggs and vegetable oil, and mix until fully blended.
- Pour the batter evenly over the pineapple and cherries.
- Follow the cake mix instructions for how long to bake in a bundt pan. Approximately 35-40 minutes. Bake until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool the cake for about 30 minutes before running a knife around the edges and inner ring of the pan. Invert onto a serving plate and slice between pineapple rings to serve.