Happy Cinco de Mayo! I never need a special reason to eat or make Mexican food. Once you see how easy this rice is to make, you will be volunteering to bring the Mexican rice to your family gatherings or potlucks.
- 3 tablespoons oil
- 2 1/2 cups uncooked long grain white rice
- 3 cups low sodium chicken or vegetable stock
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- chopped cilantro or green onions for garnish
- Add 3 tablespoons oil in a deep skillet and heat over medium high heat. Add the rice and stir constantly until the rice turns golden brown.
- Next add the chicken or vegetable stock. The mixture will bubble up and should be followed by the tomato paste, chili powder, cumin, garlic powder, onion powder, black pepper and salt.
- Bring to a boil and and stir to dissolve the tomato paste into the stock mixture and rice.
- Cover with skillet with a lid and turn down the heat to low and set timer for 20 minutes.
- When the rice is done, fluff with a fork.
- Garnish with chopped cilantro or green onions.