Here in California we are under a statewide Shelter in Place directive. There’s only so much house cleaning I can do to pass the time. So now it’s on to baking. I decided to bake some treats for my elderly mother and her neighbors and make little treat boxes for them. These carrot cake cupcakes were one of the items I made for them.
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- 1 cup coconut oil (or vegetable oil)
- 2 cups finely grated carrots, or more to taste
- 1 (8 ounce) can finely crushed pineapple, drained
- 1/2 cup finely chopped pecans (optional)
- 1/2 cup raisins (optional)
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 3 cups confectioners’ sugar
- Preheat the oven to 350 F degrees.
- Lightly grease a cupcake pan with nonstick cooking spray or line with paper muffin liners. Set aside.
- Place flour in a bowl. Add salt, baking soda, and baking powder. Sprinkle in ground ginger and cinnamon. Whisk thoroughly until combined. Set aside.
- Add sugar to a separate bowl. Whisk in eggs until mixture is smooth and pale yellow, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Heat butter and coconut oil in a saucepan over low heat until just melted but not too hot. Whisk into the bowl with the eggs and sugar until well combined. Add carrots, crushed pineapple, pecans, and raisins. Stir well.
- Stir flour mixture into the carrot mixture until no dry spots remain.
- Pour mixture into prepared cupcake pan.
- Tap the pan against your counter to let any big air bubbles rise to the surface.
- Bake in the preheated oven until a toothpick inserted into the cupcake comes out clean, 23 to 25 minutes. Let cool completely before frosting, at least 40 minutes.
- Beat cream cheese, butter, vanilla extract and lemon juice together using an electric mixer until light and fluffy. Gradually beat in the confectioners’ sugar to form a smooth frosting. Spread evenly over the cooled cupcakes.
- Garnish with grated carrots. (optional)