My son gave me an air fryer last Christmas. I was skeptical about using it. But it turns out to be a convenient tool. I use it frequently instead of using my oven or dealing with deep frying oil splatters on my person. I started with the usual, frozen fries and egg rolls. But now I’ve ventured out to actually making recipes with the air fryer. Today’s test is crispy air fryer tofu. I made a simple marinade for this. Next time I will make a sauce to pour over these. But I set out to make crispy tofu and I would say the air fryer did it’s job well. Keep in mind, I have a large 5.8 quart air fryer, if you have a smaller one you may have to cook in batches. Hey, I actually made a vegetarian dish!
- 1 (16 ounce) block extra-firm tofu
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame seed oil
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 clove minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon minced ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- chopped green onions for garnish (optional)
- sesame seeds for garnish (optional)
- Place heavy pan over tofu block to squeeze out excess liquid for 15 minutes. Discard liquid.
- Cut tofu into bite sized pieces.
- In a small bowl or Ziplock bag, place tofu pieces and add remaining ingredients for marinade. Let sit for an additional 15 minutes,
- Preheat your air fryer for 5 minutes on 380 F degree.
- Add tofu blocks to your air fryer in a single layer. Cook for 15 minutes. Check around the 8 minute mark, and flip tofu blocks over.
- Plate crispy tofu and garnish with green onions and sesame seeds.