What’s that? I’m posting a vegetarian dish? Yes, believe it or not, I actually like a lot of vegetarian dishes. It’s just hard to find a vegetarian dish that my picky “meat and potatoes” son will enjoy as well. So I have to take baby steps with him and made a vegetarian soup. And slow cooker recipes are the best. Just prep your ingredients, put into your slow cooker and let it do all the work! Hopefully, my friend, Sue T. will approve. This recipe makes 6-8 servings.
- 1 1/2 cups lentils (green or red)
- 4 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and diced
- 1/2 onion, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 2 russet potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 1 bag (5 ounces) baby spinach
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 6 1/2 cups vegetable stock
- salt to taste
- Place all ingredients but the baby spinach, in your slow cooker. And pour in the vegetable stock.
- Cook on high for 5 hours or on low for 8 hours.
- Stir a few times throughout the cooking.
- Add the baby spinach during the last 10 minutes of cooking cycle.
- If you like a more brothy soup, add in 1-2 cups additional stock.
- If you like a more creamy soup, carefully ladle out 1/3 of the soup into your blender and puree. Add back blended soup to slow cooker and mix well.
- Salt to taste and garnish with chopped parsley.
I made this soup on a rainy and windy day. And boy, can I tell you that it hit the spot! Nothing like a hot bowl of soup with just a little kick of curry to warm your tummy. For my vegetarian friends, use vegetable broth and skip the bacon and add 1 cup of chopped kale or collard greens instead.
- 3-4 slices of thick cut bacon, cut into thin slices or cubes
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large yellow onion, diced
- 2 stalks of celery, diced
- 2 medium carrots, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 can (14.5 ounce) diced tomatoes
- 1 cup brown or green lentils
- 6 cups chicken or vegetable stock
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- chopped fresh parsley or celery leaves for garnish
- Fry the bacon in a large pot over medium heat, stirring frequently, until the fat is rendered and the bacon is crisp. About 4-5 minutes. Drain the fat.
- Add the olive oil, onions and celery and cook, stirring occasionally, until the onions are soft and translucent. About 5 minutes.
- Add the carrots, garlic, curry powder and thyme, stirring constantly and cook for 30 seconds to 1 minute until the garlic is fragrant.
- Add in the diced tomatoes and cook for a few minutes, stirring often.
- Pour in the lentils and the chicken stock. Season generously with fresh ground black pepper.
- Raise heat and bring to a boil.
- Cover and reduce heat to low. Simmer for 45-50 minutes or until the lentils are tender.
- Transfer 2 cups of soup to a blender. Protect your hand from the steam with a kitchen towel placed over lid and purée the soup until smooth.
- Pour the puréed soup back into the pot. Stir and cook for 1-2 minutes more.
- If you are making this vegetarian style, now is the time to add 1 cup chopped kale or collard greens and cook for 5 minutes more or until your greens are tender.
- Serve with chopped parsley or celery leaves.