If you are wondering why I don’t post very many seafood recipes it’s because I’m allergic to seafood. But there are two types of seafood I will eat and later pay the price of itchy hives for: shrimp and crab. So, Benadryl and anti-itch skin cream I’ll be seeing you soon.
Feel free to change up the vegetables and protein to your tastes. I had these on hand, so it is what I used.
- 1 tablespoon vegetable or canola oil
- 1 small carrot, julienne sliced
- 1/4 of large red onion, sliced into half moons
- 20 sugar snap peas
- 20 snow peas
- 4 large shiitake mushrooms, sliced
- 1 can, 8 ounces sliced water chestnuts
- 1 pound peeled and deveined uncooked shrimp
- 1/2 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon minced ginger
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- 1/2 tablespoon Chinese cooking wine
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 3 tablespoons light soy sauce
- 1/3 cup chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon Sriracha, optional if you want a little spice
- In a small bowl combine all the sauce ingredients. Whisk until cornstarch is dissolved. Set aside.
- Add oil to a wok or large skillet over medium high heat.
- Add carrots, onions, and sugar snap peas and stir and cook for 2 minutes.
- Next add snow peas, mushrooms and water chestnuts and stir and cook for 1-2 minutes or until mushrooms become tender.
- Move vegetables to edge of wok or skillet and add shrimp to center of pan. Stirring occasionally, cook shrimp for 2-3 minutes until pink.
- Add sauce to shrimp and vegetables and stir until all the shrimp and vegetables are coated with sauce, cooking for another minute until sauce is heated through.
- Serve immediately with jasmine rice.