I love quick recipes. And even better, a quick baked goods recipe. Correction, a quick FROM SCRATCH recipe. These are so tasty you are going to want to make a second batch soon. I know I am!
- 1 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup sugar, divided into 1/2 cup and 1/4 cup
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- zest of 1 lemon
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) cold, unsalted butter, cut into cubes
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 2 cups blueberries (fresh or frozen)
- 2 tablespoons turbinado sugar
- Preheat oven to 375 F degrees. Lightly coat an 8×8 baking pan with nonstick baking spray.
- In a large bowl or food processor, combine flour, 1/2 cup sugar, baking powder and salt.
- Add egg yolk, vanilla extract, lemon zest and cold butter. Using your fingers work the butter into the dry ingredients until it resembles coarse crumbs. (Or pulse in food processor until crumbs form.)
- In a small bowl, combine remaining 1/4 cup sugar and cornstarch. Stir in lemon juice. Add blueberries and gently mix to combine.
- Spread 2/3 of the batter into the prepared baking pan.
- Spread blueberry mixture evenly over the bottom layer.
- Sprinkle with remaining 1/3 of the batter and then sprinkle turbinado sugar evenly over top batter layer.
- Bake until lightly browned, about 35 to 40 minutes. Let cool before cutting into bars.