Here’s a fun baking activity for your kids or for you kids at heart to make during the holidays. All you need are a few items you may already have in your pantry. I did make my own cupcakes from scratch, only because I was already making my Christmas cookies and had most the ingredients out anyway. But I did use store bought frosting. Either way is fine. The snowmen won’t complain.
- 1 box chocolate or Devil’s food cake mix
- 1 container vanilla frosting (buttercream or whipped style)
- white sparkling decorating sugar sprinkles (I used Wilton brand)
- butterscotch baking chips (or use orange M&Ms)
- mini chocolate chips
- Prepare cupcakes as per cake mix directions and let cool completely.
- Spread a generous amount of frosting on top of the cupcake.
- Fill a small bowl with white, sparkling decorating sugar.
- Holding the bottom of the cupcake, gently press it down into the coarse sugar and rock it back and forth in all directions until the icing is completely covered.
- Take a regular sized butterscotch chip and gently press it into the center of the cupcake.
- Then use mini chocolate chips for the eyes and mouth.
- Aren’t they so cute?! How easy was that?