When you have a big family dinner planned it’s hard to give all your dishes your full attention. So take help where you can, and go the semi homade route. This quick recipe is an excellent side dish and if you substitute the chicken stock for vegetable stock it can be vegetarian too.
- 1/2 stick of butter or 3 tablespoons olive or vegetable oil
- 2 stalks of celery, chopped
- 2 Granny Smith apples, peeled and chopped
- 1 red or yellow onion, chooped
- 1 package (6 ounces) Ocean Spray Craisins® (dried cranberries)
- 2 1/2 cups chicken or vegetable stock
- 1 package (14 ounces) Pepperidge Farm® Herb Seasoned Stuffing mix
- Poultry seasoning optional
- Pre heat the oven to 350°F degrees.
- Heat the butter or oil in a 3 quart sauce pan over medium heat.
- Add the apples, celery and onion and cook for 5 minutes or until tender-crisp, stirring occasionally.
- Add the stock to the saucepan and heat to a boil.
- Remove the saucepan from the heat.
- Add the stuffing and dried cranberries and mix lightly.
- Add additional poultry seasoning to taste. (This is optional, as the stuffing mix is already seasoned.) Spoon the stuffing mixture into a greased 9×13 inch baking dish. Cover the baking dish with foil.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until the stuffing mixture is hot. (For crunchier stuffing, bake uncovered.)
One day, I’m going to make my own tamales. But for tonight, I needed to make a side dish to go with the tamales I bought. Originally I was going to make a basic Mexican rice. But I decided to amp it up a little and add some beans and corn. I guess this would then make this more of a Southwestern style rice. This recipe makes a full skillet of rice. So a good 8-10 servings. If you need less, you may want to half the ingredients. Or save the extra and add shredded chicken to it for a chicken and rice dish to eat the next day!
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1/2 large onion, diced
- 2 cups long grain rice
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 can (14.5 ounce) diced tomatoes with green chilies
- 2 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1 can (14.5 ounce) black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup frozen corn kernels, defrosted
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon tumeric
- fresh cilantro for garnish
Heat canola oil in a large skillet over medium high heat.
Add onions and cook for 3-4 minutes.
Reduce heat to low and add garlic and rice. Stir constantly to make sure the rice does not burn. Cook for 3 minutes.
Add diced tomatoes with green chilies. Stir to combine.
Add black beans and corn.
Add chicken broth.
Then add cumin, chili powder, salt and tumeric.
Stir to combine. Increase heat back to medium high and bring to a boil.
Reduce heat back to low. Cover and simmer for 20-25 minutes or until rice is done.
Garnish with fresh cilantro.