I’m making my holiday treats for my family and friends this week. I’m also using the opportunity to blog some of the recipes to share with you. I don’t know why I haven’t shared this recipe sooner. It’s the perfect way to use up all those extra candy canes you bought. Or am I the only one that does that? Shhh. Don’t tell me. I don’t want you to confirm my all things Christmas hoarding habits.
- 1 2/3 cups sugar
- 2/3 cup (5 ounce can) evaporated milk
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 cups miniature marshmallows
- 1 1/2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 1/4 cup crushed peppermint candies (I used candy canes)
- Line an 8 inch square baking pan with foil.
- Combine sugar, evaporated milk, butter and salt in medium , heavy duty saucepan. Over medium heat, bring ingredients to full rolling boil. Stirring constantly, boil for 4 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Stir in marshmallows, chocolate chips, vanilla extract and peppermint extract. Stir vigorously for 1 minute or until marshmallows are melted.
- Pour into prepared baking pan. Let cool for 1 minute before topping with crushed peppermint.
- Refrigerate for at least 2 hours or until firm. (Overnight is best.) Lift from pan, remove foil. Cut into 48 pieces.